Monday, September 5, 2016

DCC Shiz: My attempt at Psionics

I've been trying to come up with a way to work psionics into my games. I'm not sure how interested the players will be in the powers of the mind, but I am interested in pitting them against psionic "baddies".

I've always been fascinated with psionic powers. Since I was a child, I've dreamed of being able to manipulate objects just by thinking of them, like a Jedi...or Matilda. 

My first experience with psionics in a gaming setting was with the D&D 3.5 psionic's handbook. 
It was sort of a love/hate relationship. I enjoyed the power, and variety the rules offered, but felt frustrated by the constrictions of each of their psionic classes. In order to get what I wanted for my character I had to spend many hours planning a "build" for my character. 
It was too much time devoted to planning, for not enough payoff. My character would have had to have been a really high level with several multi-classing options, XP penalties, feat selections, ect. It just didn't make sense to me. More importantly, it was taking away the enjoyment I felt when playing the game.

DCC has remedied a few of these problems. No longer do I fret over feats, classes, race, ect. I have a character, and I play the game. All of the rules, and mechanics make sense. It flows smoothly. 
So, I've been working on this, trying to integrate psionics in a way that flows with DCC. No crazy mathematical equations to determine powers, no multiple classes for different races, just a simple Psion to manifest psionic powers.   

In addition to the Psion class, I've been working on a kind of "Psionic Patron". Opishthok, the Fungal Lord. Prince ruler of the Myconids, Shroomen, and to those that would devote themselves to his teachings. A half Myconid, half human born from the a long deceased Mushroom Chieftain and a powerful witch. If the PCs attempt to gain psionic powers in my game(s), this will be the initial source of their powers. 
It won't necessarily be their only source of knowledge, perhaps they'll sleep in a crystal cave and have dreams/visions of the courts of alien societies. They might come across an ancient crown of a long dead ruler who etched his secrets into the gems that line it. Maybe they'll make soup from the brain of a great psionic beast, and gain it's powers in that way. 
The list is endless, it's up to the DM, and I suppose the players on how they wish to unlock the higher powers of the mind. 

Anyway, onto the Psion class itself. 
In order to maintain the mental concentration required to manifest powers, and adopt the Psion class, the character must unlearn what they have learned. They must spend at least 1 week in deep mediation, travelling the cosmos, and awakening their sleeping minds. 
Characters with existing levels in another class loose their previous abilities. Former wizards can no longer cast their spells, former warriors no longer preform mighty deeds, ect. Characters do retain their existing HP, and languages.
Their XP resets to the minimal for their current level. i.e. a 3rd level wizard with 156 xp is reset to 110. Demi-humans can also take the Psion class, if they wish. They would also loose all abilities granted by their former class. 

Hit Points: Psions gain 1d4 HP/Level
Power Points: When a Psion fails to manifest a power (low roll) they loose 1 power point. When they reach 0 power points they can no longer manifest powers until they meditate for at least 8 hours. 
Note: Psions don't need to sleep, although they do require 8 hours of meditation/day in order to manifest powers
Powers Known: This is the amount of powers known to the psion. Determined randomly at 1st level. 
Max Power Level: Similar to spells, powers have levels associated with them. A Psion cannot manifest powers with a power level beyond what is outlined in the below table. Any attempt made to do so would surely wreak havoc on the Psion's mind, and consciousness. Driving them insane with the vast knowledge of the cosmos beyond their ability to comprehend. 
Weapon Training: A Psion is proficient with the Staff, and the Dagger. They do not wear armor. 


Level

Atk

Crit Die/Table

Action Die

Powers Known

Max Pwr. Level

Power Points/Day

Ref

Fort

Will

1

+0

1d6/I

1d20

3

1

4

+0

+0

+2

2

+0

1d6/I

1d20

4

1

5

+1

+0

+2

3

+1

1d8/I

1d20

5

2

6

+2

+1

+3

4

+1

1d8/I

1d20

6

2

7

+2

+1

+3

5

+2

1d10/I

1d20+1d14

7

3

8

+3

+2

+4

6

+2

1d10/I

1d20+1d16

8

3

9

+3

+2

+4

7

+3

1d12/I

1d20+1d20

9

4

10

+4

+3

+5

8

+3

1d12/I

1d20+1d20

10

4

12

+4

+3

+5

9

+4

1d14/I

1d20+1d20

12

5

14

+5

+4

+6

10

+4

1d14/I

1d20+1d20+1d14

14

5

16

+5

+4

+7

 

I'll get around to uploading the list of powers, and Opisthok's write up when I have additional free time.
This is most likely going to change as I play test it with various groups. Let me know if you see any obvious flaws, or errors.
Thanks for reading this stupid long post.


1 comment:

  1. If you have not yet picked up Mind Games, you should give it a look. It is a complete system for DCC psionics, and the monsters are fun.

    ReplyDelete